I never knew Halloween is such big deal in the United States before coming to Austin. It's just a common holiday which is even not known in some countries. However, I now learned how it goes on Halloween in the United States.
One month before Halloween, I could feel it coming by the decorations of stores and sales of pumpkins. Moreover, some people started to decorate their hourses by Jack O Latins, witches, ghosts, tombs, and etc.. Everyboy was talking about Halloween, costumes, and parties. Americans love parties, so in a holiday like Halloween, they surely have a lot of paties, like parites of neighborhoods, friends, schools, and etc.. The parties for Halloween are costume parties, sometimes there were people in customes on the streets or buses, which was anouncing the coming of Halloween.
Then, Halloween came. Kids were in costumes to play trik or treat games with their parents. Not only kids but also adults had a good time on Halloween. A lot of people in costumes gathered on the sixth street in Austin. Everybody wore different costume to amuse others and himself or herself.
It was the first time for me to stay in the U.S. on Halloween. It was fun, and I think I had learned more about American life.

3 Comments:
Hey, Vito!
It is interesting that I have the same feelings about Halloween celebration in the USA! You're right that almost one month ahead everyone and everything was about this holiday! Moreover, I think it is quiet different from Halloween celebrations in other countries.
What I really was surprised to learn about was the variety of costumes and ideas that Americans have. In addition, not only children or young people dress up, even adults had such funny costumes!
It was also my first Halloween so everything was for the first time!
Hi, Vito! This is Jiyeon. How was your Halloween? What did you do with your daughter? I also didn't know that Halloween is such a big holiday in the U.S.A. I just thought only young people enjoy this holdiay like Valentine's Day. However, it wasn't. Anyway, it was good cultural experience for me.
I'm curious to know if you actively participated in Halloween. If you stay in the States for a while, you'll surely be part of the holiday activity simply because you're a parent, and it's very hard to escape the costumes and trick-or-treating when all the other kids are having fun.
Halloween used to be only a children's event. However, especially in Austin, but also in other cities, it has become an adult holiday even more so. Recently my sons said that they have enjoyed Halloween more now that they're adults than they did as kids. Parties are more fun because everyone is in a costume, which makes for instant conversation. I'm still astonished at how "big" Halloween has become, but I figure it's something to look forward to and a reason to have fun. What more can we ask for in uncertain times?
Post a Comment
<< Home